Pound Middle School opened in 1963.
Pound Middle School was named for Olivia Pound who was on the Lincoln High School staff from 1900 until her retirement in 1943. Miss Pound was a Latin teacher, girls’ advisor, and from 1918 to 1943, assistant principal. During that time she wrote nearly 20 textbooks, contributed numerous articles to educational publications, and was president of the National Association of University Women.
Olivia came from an illustrious Lincoln family of educators. Her brother Roscoe became dean of the University of Nebraska’s law school and eventually dean of the Harvard Law School. Her sister Louise was a professor of foreign language at the University of Nebraska for many years.
Pound Middle School welcomed its’ first class of sixth graders in 2003–04, assuming a 6–8 grade configuration for the first time in the forty-year history of the school.